One of the first aftermarket dodge truck parts people buy is a tonneau cover. These are the bed covers that fit right onto the bed of your truck. Depending on the type of bed cover you choose, they can be installed in about 30-60 minutes. They’re a great aftermarket part to install on your truck because they don’t require a lot of technical skill to put on and they’re a fairly cost efficient upgrade for your Dodge truck.
Tonneau covers help keep your truck bed clean and will secure the contents as well. Also, many people believe that trucks look much better with a truck bed cover installed. There are 6 popular types of tonneau covers:
- Rollup: These are soft bed covers typically made from vinyl. They attach to your Dodge’s bed with snaps or with a bedrail attachment. They’re the most popular type of tonneau cover there is. This is partially due to the fact that they’re fairly cheap to buy and easy to install.
- Retractable: A retractable tonneau cover is a more advanced type of bed cover that you generally see on higher end Dodge Ram trucks. They are classified under the category of hard bed covers. They’re very sleek and have a modern look to them. They’re weather resistant and allow you to easily get in and out of your bed since they retract into a canister on your truck bed.
- Folding: Folding truck beds are another type of fairly agile tonneau cover. They’re made of multiple panels that stack onto each other. There are several different types of folding tonneau covers available. Some of them are completely removable so that you can have complete access to your truck bed’s contents.
- Locking: If you’re looking for security in your tonneau cover, then snap covers are one of the best options. They have a locking mechanism built in so that anything you store in your bed is completely safe and secure. Since they are used for security purposes, they’re made of hard material so that they cannot be easily penetrated and broken into.
- Hinged: The best way to describe hinged tonneau covers is to compare them to a car trunk. They work in a very similar method because they have a hinge on the front of the truck bed so that you can simply lift up the front part of the cover to access the bed. These can be either soft or hard. If you want full access to your truck bed, look for a hinged bed cover that is completely removable.
- Snap: Perhaps the simplest and most basic type of truck bed cover is the snap tonneau cover. The major downfall of snap bed covers is that they can be a hassle to put on and take off.
There is no best type of tonneau cover. The type you choose will depend on your personal preference for the most part. The same is true of most other Dodge Ram truck parts. If your main concern is security, then a hard cover locking tonneau cover will probably be the best choice for you. If you would prefer something simpler and cost efficient, then you might consider going with a rollup.
Be sure to check out our wide selection of aftermarket Dodge truck parts and other truck accessories including bed covers today.